feedback button
Wednesday, 10th August 2022

Irish Born Chinese

Chinese lanterns dangerous to livestock

Created Monday, 1st February 2010, 13:05 by whykay
(NOTE: This is a migrated article from the old IBC blog)

We’ve released these Chinese lanterns while we were in Hong Kong, but never heard about these problems, which are quite serious. Okay, fair enough, there’s no livestock in HK, but I was told that they were biodegradable. In UK, either cows are dying from ingesting the Chinese lanterns, getting into the feeds and coastguards mistakenly thinking the red light was a red distress signals. I’ve seen these lanterns being sold at an online Irish site, so not sure how many of these were let loose into the wild.